Sunday, October 2, 2011

1:1 Classroom

Hey everyone. Wow, it's been a while since my last post! It's been an extremely busy first month of school. Now that the school year is in full swing, I'm determined to start back on my blog and to update it on a consistent basis. At the end of the school year last year, I was lucky enough to receive a full class set of netbooks in my room. Having a netbook for each student in my classroom was amazing. I could do things on a daily basis that was impossible before. This year, I started off the year with my netbooks and I am changing the way I teach and learning new ways to use them that I never imagined. My goal is to share different ways that I using netbooks in my room throughout this year. 


We started off the year by using Moodle as our go-to site. Moodle has provided me with a way to hold online forums for class discussions, reading response homework, and sharing our opinions about the way we do things in the classroom. It is also a great tool for posting websites that we use in the classroom and at home for math skills practice, ebooks, learning videos for science/social studies, and much more!  This month, I will be showing students how to take a quiz and complete surveys on Moodle. 


Another Web 2.0 tool we've been using in our classroom is Survey Monkey. We learned about inherited traits last week and integrated the use of Survey Monkey to gain information about inherited traits within our classroom. The students enjoyed completing the survey and viewing the class results in as little as 10 minutes! We analyzed our data by creating a bar graph on our Promethean Board and seeing which inherited traits were most common within our room. The students really enjoyed using this tool and I'm thinking of letting them create surveys on Survey Monkey in groups later this year. 


Overall, this year is off to a great start with our netbooks!  I'll continue to post new ways to integrate netbooks in the classroom as I learn new ways for implementation. Until next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment